1. Describe Sherry in 3 Words
An intoxicating siren.
2. Do you have a philosophy when it comes to pairing Sherry with food, or for creating food to pair with Sherry?
I always start with the sherry when creating a food pairing. I enjoy using the wine as a canvas, highlighting and accentuating its dynamic framework, flavor, and texture. My ultimate goal is to create a bond between the wine and the food that feels inseparable, effortless, and inspired.
3. What is your favorite non-traditional Sherry pairing?
Amontillado with a pork larb I make with shaved melon and toasted black rice. I really enjoy the big and or bright flavors of southeastern asian and indian foods with sherries.
4. Why did you want to participate in Copa Jerez?
My team mate, Kerin Auth, introduced me to sherry long ago and I have been under its spell ever since. I truly just thought it would be fun to create and collaborate on this menu while paying homage to my love of the wine. I could not be more honored to have been selected to share that love on behalf of my country with one of my best friends.
5. If you could serve your pairings from Copa Jerez anywhere in the world other than your restaurant
a. Where would it be?
A tropical jungle island
b. Who would you like to serve them to?
Leonardo Da Vinci, Charles Darwin, and the local island shaman
c. What would the soundtrack be?
The sound of the jungle and the ocean in the distance
12 May 2017