Now presenting the 2017 Sherry Cocktail Competition semi-finalists!
Congratulations to the 25 semi-finalists whose incredible submissions blew the preliminary judges away. The competition has been fierce with an unprecedented level of excellence in the entries and impressive knowledge and understanding of the ingredients.
Be sure to check back soon when we'll announce the top 10 finalists who will go on to compete live in Brooklyn, NY on Monday, October 30th!
- Valerie Alvarado, Williams & Graham in Denver, CO - "Sueño y Suerte" (Moscatel, Pedro Ximénez)
- Anthony Belculfini, Taberna de Haro in Brookline, MA - "CriaDare" (Manzanilla, Oloroso, Moscatel)
- Tyler Blackgrave, Bon Ton Boil House in Atlanta, GA - "Extended Vacation" (Manzanilla)
- Guillermo Bravo, EMP Summer House/The NoMad Hotel in New York, NY - "Verano Verde" (Fino, Amontillado)
- Brian Callahan, Tiger Mama in Boston, MA - "Bellocq" (Fino, Amontilado, Pedro Ximénez)
- Gabriela Chan, Forgery in San Francisco, CA - "Shy Smile" (Palo Cortado)
- Chris Cleary, B&GC in Denver, CO - "The Okie Dokie" (Palo Cortado)
- Suzanne Critchlow, Columbia Room in Washington, DC - "Salted Fino Rickey" (Fino)
- Jesse Cyr, Rob Roy in Seattle, WA - "Look My Way" (Amontillado)
- Shaun Dunn, The NoMad Hotel in New York, NY - "Maize Runner" (Amontillado)
- Phoebe Esmon, Cúrate in Asheville, NC - "El Periodo Rosa" (Manzanilla)
- Leanne Favre, Mayahuel in New York, NY - "Sage Ya Later, Hater" (Manzanilla, Oloroso)
- Renee Griego, VACA in Costa Mesa, CA - "Hang "Em High" (Fino)
- Topher Hartfield, Nocturne Jazz & Supper Club in Denver, CO - "My Sherry Amer" (Manzanilla, Pedro Ximénez)
- McLain Hedges, RiNo Yacht Club in Denver, CO - "The Rossonian Standard" (Manzanilla)
- Sam Johnson, Leyenda in New York, NY - "Calypso Cobbler" (Amontillado, Manzanilla)
- Alexandria Jump, RiNo Yacht Club in Denver, CO - "Free Hand" (Manzanilla)
- Yanni Kehagiaras, Nopa in San Francisco, CA - "The Brunch Aperitivo" (Manzanilla)
- Collin Lawson, Donna Cocktail Club in Brooklyn, NY - "Sundown Swizzle" (Fino)
- Sahil Mehta, Estragon Tapas Bar (Bar Gogo) in Boston, MA - "Funky Town" (Oloroso)
- Katipai Richardson-Wilson, Dirty Precious in Brooklyn, NY - "The Gentleman Caller" (Amontillado, Oloroso)
- Meagan Schmoll, Tupelo Grille in Whitefish, MT - "Soñador" (Pedro Ximénez)
- Paul Taylor, Game of Thrones Pub in Washington, DC - "What is Dead May Never Die" (Manzanilla)
- Kellie Thorn, Empire State South in Atlanta, GA - "Green Light" (Fino)
- Brendan Town, Bon Ton Boil House in Atlanta, GA - "The Old Ward" (Oloroso, Manzanilla, Pedro Ximénez)
The Sherry Cocktail Competition is a nationwide event featuring bartenders and mixologists from all across the country who have been challenged to create the best Sherry cocktail in America. This competition was created to showcase the incredible diversity of Sherry wine, it's remarkable use as an ingredient in cocktails, and it's ability to match with food. Each entrant's cocktail had to be featured on a working, existing restaurant or bar cocktail program, and could be made with any style of Sherry, coming from any bodega in Jerez, Spain. Each semi-finalist was chosen from a pool of entries coming from all corners of the country.
At stake is an all-expense paid trip to Jerez, Spain, and a scholarship to the highly-acclaimed Beverage Alcohol Resource (BAR) 5-day Program in New York City.
For more information, contact Kate Burgess at firstname.lastname@example.org