Entries were received from all over the country from bartenders at some of the best cocktails bars and restaurants operating today. Congratulations to these 10 bartenders who emerged from this tight race of incredible entries and a thank you to all who entered! Click the links to watch the finalists videos of how to make their cocktails.
- Adam George Fournier, The NoMad Bar in Los Angeles, CA - "Banana Dance" (Oloroso)
- Claire Boyle, Taberna de Haro in Brookline, MA - "La Capataza" (Oloroso, Manzanilla)
- Brian Callahan, Tiger Mama in Boston, MA – “Tuk Tuk” (Fino, Amontillado)
- Melissa Markert, The Dead Rabbit in New York, NY – “Comfort Zone” (Fino)
- Jarred Weigand, Death & Company in New York, NY – “Strange Encounters” (Amontillado)
- Topher Hartfield, Nocturne Jazz & Supper Club in Denver, CO – “The Árbol Fresco” (Oloroso, Manzanilla)
- Caleb Kimbley, Forgery in San Francisco, CA – “Curador” (Fino, Manzanilla)
- Emily Mitchell, Bar Margot in Four Seasons in Atlanta, GA – “Albero Highball” (Amontillado)
- Jack Schramm, Existing Conditions in New York, NY – “Positive Contact” (Oloroso, Manzanilla)
- Andrew Larsen, Columbia Room in Washington, DC – “The Daiquiri Bacchanal” (Oloroso, Amontillado)
Our finalists will compete in the live finals on Monday, October 8th Clover Club in Brooklyn, NY, to determine who will be crowned the winner of this year's America’s Best Sherry Cocktail. If you're in New York City, you won't want to miss the chance to see these fine bartenders compete!
The Sherry Cocktail Competition is a nationwide event featuring bartenders and mixologists from all across the country who have been challenged to create the best Sherry cocktail in America. This competition was created to showcase the incredible diversity of Sherry wine, it's remarkable use as an ingredient in cocktails, and its ability to match with food. Each entrant's cocktail had to be featured on a working, existing restaurant or bar cocktail program and could be made with any style of Sherry, coming from any bodega in Jerez, Spain.
During a live demonstration and presentation they will make their cocktail in front of the distinguished panel of judges, which will include Andy Seymour, owner of Liquid Productions, Inc. and founding partner of Beverage Alcohol Resource (BAR)®, Julie Reiner, proprietor, Flatiron Lounge, Clover Club, and Leyenda; Jacques Bezuidenhout, winner of the first Sherry Cocktail Competition in 2005; Steven Olson, aka maguey geek, and founding partner of BAR®; as well as special guest judge, the director of the Consejo Regulador himself, César Saldaña, who will be visiting here from Spain.
In addition to making their drink, each finalist has to provide a written and verbal explanation of: why their cocktail is great; when is the best time to serve it, why, and how; the precise recipe, proper garnish and ideal glass; and the perfect food match, including why it would work so well. Each was also asked to submit a video demonstration of the exact preparation method and steps of assembly, along with their justifications outlined previously.
The winners will be announced immediately following the competition. An all-expense paid trip to Jerez and a scholarship to the Beverage Alcohol Resource (BAR) Advanced 5-Day Program are at stake!
The 2018 Sherry Cocktail Competition is being produced by the team at Liquid Productions, Inc.
For more information, contact Cathy Remmert – cremmert @liqpro.com
20 September 2018