We are pleased to announce the names of the 10 finalists in the 2019 U.S. Sherry Cocktail Competition! Entries were received from all over the country from bartenders at some of the best cocktails bars and restaurants operating today. Congratulations to these 10 bartenders who emerged from this tight race of incredible entries and a thank you to all who entered! Here's a list of our 2019 Finalists!
- Will Isaza, Blossom Bar at Sichuan Garden in Boston, MA – “Spanish Remix” (Amontillado "Los Arcos")
- Zachary Snyder, The Restaurant at 1900 in Kansas City, MO – “Blame it on the Aperol” (Manzanilla)
- Leishla Maldonado, Courtland Club in Providence, RI – “FORRAJE” (Amontillado and Manzanilla)
- Katie Hubbard, Taberna de Haro in Boston, MA – “Duende” (Oloroso Alfonso, Pedro Ximenéz)
- Adam George Fournier, NoMad LA in Los Angeles, CA – “The Plum Party” (Don Nuno Oloroso)
- Gabrielle Chan, Nico in San Francisco – “Tomato, Toh-Mah-Toh” (Amontillado and Palo Cortado)
- Dylan Holland, Hunger-n-Thirst in Lancaster, PA – “Holidays in Jerez” (Palo Cortado Península)
- Nick Kirkland, Garland in Raleigh, NC – “Esmerelda” (Fino)
- Kristin Amron, Gainesville, FL – “A Morning in Jerez” (Amontillado)
- Nic Wallace, Sea Island Resort in Brunswick, GA – “The Broken Bramble” (Manzanilla)
Our finalists will compete in the live finals on Monday, September 30th at Clover Club in Brooklyn, NY, to determine who will be crowned the winner of this year's America’s Best Sherry Cocktail. If you're in New York City, come by Clover Club to watch them compete! The competition starts at 1pm EST.
The Sherry Cocktail Competition is a nationwide event featuring bartenders and mixologists from all across the country who have been challenged to create the best Sherry cocktail in America. This competition was created to showcase the incredible diversity of Sherry wine, it's remarkable use as an ingredient in cocktails, and its ability to match with food. Each entrant's cocktail had to be featured on a working, existing restaurant or bar cocktail program, and could be made with any style of Sherry, coming from any bodega in Jerez, Spain.
During a live demonstration and presentation they will make their cocktail in front of the distinguished panel of judges.
In addition to making their drink, each finalist has to provide a written and verbal explanation of: why their cocktail is great; when is the best time to serve it, why, and how; the precise recipe, proper garnish and ideal glass; and the perfect food match, including why it would work so well.
The winners will be announced immediately following the competition. An all-expense paid trip to Jerez and a scholarship to the Beverage Alcohol Resource (BAR) Advanced 5-Day Program are at stake!
The 2019 Sherry Cocktail Competition is being produced by the team at Liquid Productions, Inc.
For more information, contact Cathy Remmert – cremmert @liqpro.com
13 September 2019