At stake is a spot on Steve Olson’s coveted Jerez trip to tour bodegas and take in the best that Andalucía has to over, as well as a scholarship to the highly-acclaimed Beverage Alcohol Resource (BAR) 5-day Advanced Program in New York City.
The US Sherry Cocktail Competition is a nationwide competition of bartenders/mixologists who are challenged to create the best Sherry cocktail in America. It was designed to showcase the incredible diversity of Sherry wine and it’s remarkable ability for use in cocktails and matching with food. The contestants’ cocktails can be made with any style of Sherry and from any bodega in Jerez but they have to be currently featured on a working, existing restaurant or bar cocktail program.
It is a special year for us as it marks the 10th anniversary of the esteemed competition and we can’t wait to see who is crowned next.
Past winners include:
- 2014 - Lacy Hawkins, Clover Club in Brooklyn, NY - “The Pyrenees”
- 2013 - Eric Simpkins, The Lawrence, Atlanta, GA — “Ciclope”
- 2012 - Dan Nicolaescu, Mayahuel in New York, NY – “After Dark Cocktail”
- 2011 - Brendan Dorr, B&O American Brasserie, Baltimore – “The Cadizian”
- 2009 - Charles Joly, Drawing Room, Chicago – “Bread and Wine”
- 2008 - Neyah White, NOPA, San Francisco — “Sherry Shrub”
- 2007 - Giuseppe Gonzalez, Flatiron Lounge, New York, NY — “Madroño (Strawberry Bush) Cobbler”
- 2006 - Jacques Bezuidenhout, Tres Agaves, San Francisco — “La Perla”
For these cocktail recipes and more, check out the Sherry Cocktail section or to see this year’s submissions, use the hashtag #SherryCocktailComp15 on YouTube or Facebook.
08 September 2015