Recipe created by Tinah-Jo Simba for the International Sherry Week Blog Contest 2019.
Spicy Pan-Fried Sea bass with Seasonal Veg with Palo Cortado
Butternut Squash Puree
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Place the garlic, cubed squash & potatoes on a roasting tray
- Drizzle over the olive oil. Season to taste, with Sea salt, freshly ground black & white pepper then scatter over the springs of fresh thyme
- Roast in the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the squash is tender and has turned golden-brown in places
- Place in a bowl & used a hand blender to puree. Drizzle over some olive oil (optional) and Serve
- Trim each sea bass fillet so they are both the same shape
- Season to taste, with Sea salt, freshly ground black on both sides
- Heat the pan until very hot and then add 2 tbsp of oil.
- Place the fillets in the pan, skin-side down. Press each fillet down to stop it from curling up as soon as you place them in.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then leave the fish to cook for 4-5 minutes until the skin is nicely golden and crisp
- Turn the fillets over, then fry on the flesh side for about 2 minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat & leave the fillets to finish cooking in the residual heat before serving
Creamy Wild Mushroom Truffle Sauce
- Heat the pan until hot, add olive oil & melt butter over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, stirring occasionally, cooking for about 5-6 minutes until tender & browned
- Stir in heavy cream, thyme & oregano. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Reduce heat & simmer until slightly reduced and thickened for about about 5minutes. Drizzle black truffle oil and serve.
Garlic Sautéed Spinach
- Heat the pan until hot, add olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic & sauté for about 1 minute, until the garlic is just beginning to brown
- Add the spinach, using a spatula to lift the spinach & turn it over
- Cover the pan & cook for about 1-2 minutes
- Drain any excess liquid from the pan, sprinkle with sea salt to taste & serve