A multitude of exciting and innovative in-person events await Sherry-lovers in 18 countries, to share the joy of the superb wines from the Sherry Triangle. In addition, after a hugely successful pivot to online events last year, virtual chats, webinars, tastings and interviews will be offered online and on Social Media, making these wines even more accessible to aficionados and professionals in every corner of the world.
Sherry O’Clock 8-12 November
Nightly events at 19.00 CET from Monday 8 November to Friday 12 November at @sherrywinesjerez Instagram, featuring hosts from around the world.
Monday 8 November we are live from Jerez, with a sneak peak of what’s to come at the 9th edition of Copa Jerez. Streamed on Instagram Live
Tuesday 9 November Masterclass Online II: La Crianza Biológica
Josep Roca, co-owner and sommelier of Celler de Can Roca, and César Saldaña, president of the Sherry Regulatory Council, will host a tasting of Fino and Manzanilla.
Via Zoom, in Spanish, with English subtitles; pre-registration required. Also streamed on Instagram Live. Event partnered with Spanish online retailer Bodeboca; participants in Spain can purchase the wines being tasted.
Wednesday 10 November Owen Morgan, Certified Sherry Educator and co-founder of Bar 44 Spanish restaurants in the UK will be joined by Beanie Espey co-founder Xeco wines, to host interactive Sherry trivia, with prizes to be won. Streamed on Instagram Live
Thursday 11 November US Sherry Week Ambassador Chantal Tseng will host a blind Sherry cocktail shake-up from Washington DC with three international guests, showing why every type of Sherry wine is ideal for creating cocktails, and finding out which ingredients complement each style. Streamed on Instagram Live
Friday 12 November Discover Jerez Guided Virtual Tasting Ferran Centelles and Amaia Soto, along with four renowned bodegas, will offer an in-depth exploration of the diverse styles and the areas where they are produced.
Via Zoom, in Spanish, with English subtitles; pre-registration required. Also streamed on Instagram Live. Event partnered with Spanish wine club Wine is Social; participants in Spain can purchase the wines being tasted.
IN-PERSON AND HYBRID EVENTS AROUND THE WORLD
In Jerez Restaurant Week, restaurants in Madrid, Barcelona and Seville will offer tastings and pairings to highlight how perfectly Sherry pairs with all types of dishes. In Madrid, 50 restaurants are participating, as well as activities at bars and wine schools across the city. In-person event
The Cadiz provincial government will host a live interactive webinar tasting of Sherry and local produce such as cheese on 11 November at 21:00 CET, with 50 invited guests including journalists, influencers, wine professionals and foodies. In-person and streamed on Instagram Live.
· A Sherry seminar will be held on 11 November at the most long-standing Sherry restaurant in Japan, the Sherry Club Ginza. In-person event.
· Participants will toast ISW at the Osborne bull in Matsunoyama Onsen (the only one in Asia), joined virtually by Ivan Llanza of the Osborne Foundation. In-person event.
- Kaisha Japanese bar in Shanghai, famed for its Sherry cocktails, is offering some exciting options for Sherry-lovers: a Sherry Trio Set, where customers choose 3 out of: 2 Sherry cocktails + 3 glasses of Sherry, served with a snack; two VORS Sherry Cocktails; and, on 13 November, an exclusive Sherry Cocktail Paring Dinner. six Western dishes with a Japanese touch, paired with six Sherry Cocktails, for just 8 people, accompanied by China Sherry Ambassador and Sherry Educator Monica Zhou.
· The documentary film Sherry & The Mystery of Palo Cortado will be screened at Edinburgh Cinema Club on 8 November, preceded by a Sherry tasting. In-person event.
· Wine consultant and BBC regular Joe Wadsack will pair five Sherries with five artisanal cheeses at London delicatessen Provisions on 9 November. In-person event
· Virtual tasting and seminar with Alicia Barrett, Director of Wine Education at Binny's Beverage Depot in Wheeling, IL, and César Saldaña, President of the Sherry Regulatory Council, on 12 November. Streamed on Instagram Live
· The Sherry Fair on 13 November at The Gibson bar in Washington DC has a variety of activities including Sherry flights, rebujitos (the Sherry-based drink of the Seville Spring Fair), games and raffles. In-person event.
· On 14 November, Katie Button and Felix Meana of Curate Partnership in Asheville, NC, along with César Saldaña, will hold a virtual tasting of Sherry paired with classic Spanish produce. Via Zoom, pre-registration required.
· Sherry-lovers in the Netherlands can order a Sherry Wine flight at around 25 wine bars throughout the country. In-person event.
We all have a guilty pleasure, but what’s your SHERRY PLEASURE?
Sherry-lovers can share their favourite Sherry pairing for a chance to win one of four 250€ bar tabs. Entrants post their ultimate maridaje (pairing) of food and Sherry, showing us how they enjoy their guilty pleasure, and share it on Instagram, either as a photo or a reel, any time during the month of November, using the hashtag #mysherrypleasure
The four winners can each use their 250€ credit at a restaurant or bar that is listed as a Sherry Spot on sherry.wine. Learn more here
Globe-hopping and award-winning
Last year’s International Sherry Week, held on 2-8 November 2020, saw over 2,000 (largely online) events registered in more than 30 countries: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the USA.
Sherry Week won three awards in 2020: Best Social Media Campaign from Drinks Business, Best Social Media Campaign from International Wine Challenge España, and best Digital and Social Media campaign from Drinks International.
01 November 2021